3.04.2011

grandma...





Today my sweet Grandma Davis passed away.

For the first 8 years of my life my grandma lived 2 blocks away from us. I saw her every single day. I spent countless hours playing at her house and in her yard. Even after we moved to Sandy we were pretty close with her. We would spend weeks at her house during the summer. In fact in 8th grade I lived with her for a whole semester. I have so many wonderful memories of her. I want to document just a few...

~Her hair was always perfectly styled. Perfectly. (and for anybody who knows me knows I have debilitating bedhead so this was extra amazing to me)

~She always had cookies. They weren't always the best tasting but they were always there. (soft & chewy maybe)

~I remember her kitchen. Macaroni and Cheese with hot dogs.

~Her laugh. I will always remember her laugh.

~We drove with her from Arizona to Utah once and every time we went down a hill she put her hands up and yelled "Wheeeeeheeee". I thought she was nuts. But I loved it.

~She would give us check books to play with. (it was one of the few times I have been good at balancing my checkbook)

~Salmon patties. Enough said...

~Christmas mornings. Sitting in the window waiting for Grandma and Grandpa to get there. When they pulled into the driveway it was almost better than Santa showing up.

~She loved me. I always knew it. Even when I wasn't the most lovable.

~She gave me my first job. I dusted her front room. She paid me a quarter. I know I wasn't her only employee but I like to think I was her favorite.

~When she moved into her condo her back yard was a zoo. Who wouldn't love a zoo in their grandma's back yard? (until I lived with her that is... then I realized how much noise those animals made)

~That crazy ticking thing she did with her mouth when she would talk to babies. They loved it.
~Good Gravy!
~She was tough. She told you what she thought. She didn't take any crap from anybody. Only now do I really appreciate this. I admire her toughness.

~There was a time when I was at a cross road. I needed to change a few things in my life. I went to visit her. Towards the end of our very casual visit she smiled at me, took my hands and said exactly what I needed to hear. Like she just knew. And she was right.

~She was strong in her faith. Despite the trials in her life. Maybe that is what made her stronger in her beliefs. Whatever the reason, she was a rock. She had a testimony and she loved her Lord.
~The last time I saw her was last summer. I got to spend so many precious hours with her. She didn't really remember who I was. One day I was there and I had Noah with me. One of the other ladies at the nursing home was admiring him. She was fiercely protective of my baby. She didn't want anyone scaring him. Fiercely protective. It made me love her even more. Because even if she couldn't remember my name she knew...

~She raised six kids. On her own. With no husband. No child support. Worked her fingers to the bone for her family. I greatly admire that.


~until we meet again...
I love you Grandma

12 comments:

marcie said...

Love that first picture of grandma. {I may just have to steal it.} And that second picture makes me smile. Grandma looked like grandma for a long, long time. She must have had that hairstyle for the last 40 years of her life - if not more. Love her. Thanks for sharing those memories. See you soon.

paula said...

Oh Megan-I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how special she was to you and how much you valued the time you got to spend with her last summer when you were here. She sounds like a great woman. I am sending you big hugs...I hope you can feel it. I love you.

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing your memories and I love the pictures. They become that much more priceless after they're gone. So I think you have yourself a great tribute. I nominate you to read it at the funeral:) See you soon!

Meghan White said...

She sounds like and wonderful lady!! Sending love, hugs and prayers your way!!

suzeemac said...

Beautiful.

Jolie said...

Oh Meg....
This "documentation" of your grandma is beautiful. I see your resemblance to your grandma in the pictures and the strength that you possess.
I loved so many parts of your tribute...
~"debilitating bedhead" LOL!
(I've always admired the older generation that could keep their hair in that 'just out of the beauty parlor' perfection)
~"salmon patties"....oh my!
~"Christmas mornings" :)
~"Fiercely protective"

Thank you for sharing! You have made me remember many things about my own grandmother....

My condolences to you and your family Megan
xoxoxoxo

p.s. I can totally smell the comfort of a grandma's kitchen with mac n cheese, hotdogs and a jar full of cheap cookies right now.
ahhhhh

M and M Grandma said...

Megan - this is so tender and absolutely beautiful. Thank you ... (sniff, sniff)

Erin said...

i love this. i need to put my pics on my computer so i can do my post...i remember that stool we always sat on. and the bathtub.can't wait to see you on monday. love you.

The Austin's said...

You always know just the right way to say everything. This is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure your grandma is very proud of you and honored. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending lots of love and prayers of comfort your way. Take care friend.

segura2salazar said...

Megan - Such a very true and sweet tribute to your grandmother! I have a few memories of her myself. She really was on incredible woman! Sending my love your way!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh Megan, this made me cry (of course). So many of the things you remember about her reminded me of both of my grandmas. Except it was poposicles instead of cookies, and "By Gum!" instead of "Good Gravy!" You reminded me of how much I'm looking forward to seeing them again one day.

Emily said...

What a beautiful tribute. I loved it. Thank you for sharing, she sounds like the perfect lady.