8.26.2007

I AM NOT OLD!!!!

Perspective is an interesting thing. I remember as a kid thinking my parents were ancient, the school year was painfully long and summer way too short and the walk to Grandma and Grandpa's house was at least 3 miles (I realized as an adult it was only 2 1/2 blocks). It is funny how when you are little these things just seem so much bigger, longer and older. This week I have been reminded of this little trick age plays on us. On the first day of school Jessie and I were trying to calm Liam's anxieties about 3rd grade. I said to them that I remember my 3rd grade teacher, Mr. Hoogard (who by the way was older than dirt of that I am sure). Anyways, Jessie turns to me and says "That is so sad that you remember that long ago." Oh Jessie, honey, it really wasn't that long ago. To make things worse a few nights later Liam and I were reminiscing about our trip to Hawaii. The conversation went as follows:

L: I miss Hawaii.
M: Me too, I want to go back someday.
L: You really shouldn't wait. You don't have a lot of time left. (Sad eyes)
M: Why is that?
L: I am young and have a lot of time left to travel. (followed by a sad/pity/pathetic pat on the shoulder as if to say~ you sad old lady )

I am 30. That is not old. I am young. I do remember thinking at the tender age of 8 that 30 was old but now that I am here I realize how young it really is. I am only (hopefully) 1/3 through my life. So my dear Jessie and Liam, In just a few years you will be 30. You will realize that this is so young and hopefully you will have these gentle reminders. It is all perspective, it just depends on where you are standing...

Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children. ~George Bernard Shaw

2 comments:

The King Family said...

That is so funny! I remember when I was young thinking how old my parents were. Now, I am in the same situation.....but much younger. :)

Annie M. said...

No Megan, you are definitely NOT old! It's funny, though, how our perspectives change over time. I still think of my dad as being perpetually 38 because that is how old he was when I was 8 and first starting thinking of how old my parents were. So, just think, maybe when you're 59 (like my dad is) your kids will still think of you as being 30! :) That's not so bad, right!?