My brother gave me a gift certificate to Kiva for my birthday.
Thanks, Jesse, for helping make this such a special year for me.
Thanks, Jesse, for helping make this such a special year for me.
Greetings from Ruhengeri in Rwanda!
Vestine is 28 years old and is married with three children and four adopted orphans from the 1994 genocide.
Vestine is 28 years old and is married with three children and four adopted orphans from the 1994 genocide.
In 2003, Vestine started her business of selling agricultural produce in different local markets in the area. Vestine has a plan of expanding her business to other local markets in the country. She is requesting a loan of 500,890 RWF to be repaid in 8 months.
I just made a loan to someone in the developing world using a revolutionary new website called Kiva (www.kiva.org).
You can go to Kiva's website and lend to someone in the developing world who needs a loan for their business - like raising goats, selling vegetables at market or making bricks. Each loan has a picture of the entrepreneur, a description of their business and how they plan to use the loan so you know exactly how your money is being spent - and you get updates letting you know how the entrepreneur is going.
The best part is, when the entrepreneur pays back their loan you get your money back - and Kiva's loans are managed by microfinance institutions on the ground who have a lot of experience doing this, so you can trust that your money is being handled responsibly.
It's finally easy to actually do something about poverty - using Kiva I know exactly who my money is loaned to and what they're using it for. And most of all, I know that I'm helping them build a sustainable business that will provide income to feed, clothe, house and educate their family long after my loan is paid back.
You can go to Kiva's website and lend to someone in the developing world who needs a loan for their business - like raising goats, selling vegetables at market or making bricks. Each loan has a picture of the entrepreneur, a description of their business and how they plan to use the loan so you know exactly how your money is being spent - and you get updates letting you know how the entrepreneur is going.
The best part is, when the entrepreneur pays back their loan you get your money back - and Kiva's loans are managed by microfinance institutions on the ground who have a lot of experience doing this, so you can trust that your money is being handled responsibly.
It's finally easy to actually do something about poverty - using Kiva I know exactly who my money is loaned to and what they're using it for. And most of all, I know that I'm helping them build a sustainable business that will provide income to feed, clothe, house and educate their family long after my loan is paid back.

3 comments:
I am so impressed! I've heard about this before and I am totally going to help out now that I have the link!
I am so glad you liked it! I was really impressed by this site when it was recommended to me. I was talking with a friend of mine about the state of the world, and how easy it is to feel powerless in the face of a world gone insane, when he told me about kiva. It is a unique feeling giving money to someone with whom you have no connection other then you are both people trying to get by. Like I said, I thought you might like this more then a giftcard to walmart. lol
all my love
Jesse
Great idea, isn't that why we are hear on earth, to help others. What a great way yto do it.
Post a Comment